Monday, February 15, 2016

Alpental Vertfest: Holeshot!

This weekend I traveled to Snoqualmie pass to take part in Alpental's VertFest.  With the forecast calling for 145mm of rain in the two days leading up to the race, with the heaviest rain during the race itself, I fully expected to build some character.

The forecast was, as is usually the case when the PNW calls for unending rain, correct.  The race organizers put on a good show though and the race went off without a hitch.  The lineup at the start was over 130 racers deep, and with a wobbly single-width creek crossing 200m into the race, I decided to go out hard.

2016-02-13 Alpental


2016-02-13 Alpental (6)

alpental matt


I was able to get to the bridge first, and along with two followers started building a gap on the field.  Patrick, Todd and I made our introductions and switched places as we went up the first climb, staying in touch to the top transition.  The descent was what you would expect with 145mm of rain, and we all took it conservatively.

The skintrack on the second lap was, in a word, heinous.  The order between Patrick, Todd, and I did not change, but the gaps grew - by the end, a charging and single-poled Patrick had a 1 minute gap on Todd, and 4 minutes on me, all of us finishing in under an hour and a half.   Third place prize was quickly spent on gas money as I escaped the rainforest and headed back to the Okanagan.

12719096_10207273755979615_5142832712078705005_o


Waterproof review of skimo gear:  none of it is remotely waterproof.

No comments:

Post a Comment