Monday, June 22, 2015

The Test



Haha, woops!  Wrong video.

What a dumb sport.

There is no official video for the bike race, but here is the site, and some excellent pictures below thanks to Anne.  The Test of Metal is a 67km point to point XC mountain bike race, and is one of the iconic races in BC.  This was my first Test of Metal ever this year (I know, I know).  Going in I knew it was a fast race, but I soon learned:  it is a really fast race.

Test of Metal

The first two thirds of the race went great.  I got myself into a pretty good spot in the first few pavement kilometers, and settled into the paceline up Jacks.   I traded pulls with a few other people up Alice Lake until we caught a bigger group at the top of the climb, which was very helpful all the way to the aid station.

Test of Metal 2015

You know what makes great bike race?  Having a crew.  Many thanks to Anne and Schomberg for the water bottle hand offs as well as the pictures.

I continued to pass people up the 9 Mile climb through Bonk Hill and the Lava Flow Hill.  This was my first time down the Ring Creek Rip, and it was awesome.  Then I got to the Plunge, made it halfway down, and wrecked pretty hard.

Test of Metal 2015

I chose a really poor time to go down.  It was a 30km/h to dead stop type of crash, and a large rock and my left thigh worked together to do all the stopping.  Which means I am pedaling all on one side... which at this point in the race means instant cramps.  Competition time over, I continued on through Crumpit woods (why do I never have a good time in Crumpit woods?) and was very happy to get to the finish line.

So I guess this means I'll be back for round 2 next year.  Looking at finishing times of people I was racing with, a sub-3 hour should be within reach.

I'll try to avoid the large rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment